Papers using the IHDS public data:
For media outlet opinion pieces written by IHDS team members, click here.
For newspaper articles referencing IHDS, click here.
Articles by IHDS Users:
Chiplunkar, Gaurav and Jeffrey Weaver. “Prevalence and Evolution of Dowry in India”. Accessed on July 08, 2019. Link.
Zeeshana, Geetilaxmi Mohapatrab and Arun Kumar Giric. “The Effects of Non-farm Enterprises on Farm Households’ Income and Consumption Expenditure in Rural India”. Accessed on July 08, 2019. Link. [Automatic download]
Deshpande, Ashwini and Apoorva Gupta. “Nakusha? Son Preference, ‘Unwanted’ Girls and Gender Gaps in Education”. Accessed on June 27, 2019. Link. [Automatic download]
Azam, Mehtabul “Accounting for Growing Urban–Rural Welfare Gaps in India”.Accessed on June 27, 2019.Link.
Li, Haibin and Wei-Jun Jean Yeung. “Educational Resilience among Asian Children in a Challenging Family Environment”. Accessed on June 27, 2019. Link.
Naveen, Sundar. “Essay on K-12 Education in Developing Countries—Causes, Consequences and Impediments”. Accessed on June 27, 2019. Link.
Cerina, Roberto and Raymond Duch. “Forecasting the Lok Sabha: Can Non-Representative Surveys Add Value?” Working Paper,Accessed on June 24, 2019. Link.
Vikram, Kriti and Reeve Vanneman. 2019. “Maternal Education and the Multidimensionality of Child Health Outcomes in India.” Accessed on May 25, 2019. Link.
Borooah, Vani Kant. 2019. “Caste, Gender, and Occupational Outcomes.” Accessed on May 24, 2019. Link.
Borooah, Vani Kant. 2019. “Job Contracts.” Accessed on May 24, 2019. Link.
Soni, Apurv. “Trends, Predictors, and Consequences of Child Undernutrition in India.” Accessed on May 21, 2019. Link.
Batabyal, Amitrajeet A. 2019. “Disease, Human Health, and Regional Growth and Development in Asia.” Accessed on May 16, 2019. Link.
Mishra, Sunil Kumar and Ashima Gupta. 2019. “Understanding Deprivation and Well-being of Households with Children.” Accessed on May 13, 2019. Link.
Maji, Poushali. 2019. “Access to Modern Energy, Air Pollution and Greenhouse Gas Mitigation: Inter-linking Three Major Energy Challenges Facing India Today.” Accessed on May 8, 2019. Link.
Karnik, Harshada. 2019. “Does Bank Account Ownership Enhance the Resiliency of Low-income Households against Health Shocks?” Accessed on May 7, 2019. Link.
Dang, Archana, Pushkar Maitra, and Nidhiya Menon. 2019. Ch. 3 "The Geography of Excess Weight in Urban India: regional Patterns and Labour Market and Dietary Correlates." in Disease, Human Health, and Regional Growth and Development in Asia." Amitrajeet A. Batabyal, Yoshiro Higano and Peter Nijkamp (Eds.) Springer Nature Singapore Pte. Ltd. Accessed 5/25/19. Link.
Dewan, Sabina and Divya Prakash. 2019. “The Evolving Discourse on Job Quality From Normative Frameworks to Measurement Indicators: The Indian Example.” Accessed on April 26, 2019. Link
Chatterjee,Esha,Sonalde Desai, and Reeve Vanneman. 2018. “Indian paradox: Rising education, declining women’s employment.” Volume 38, Article 31, Accessed on April 26, 2018. Link
Deshpande, Ashwini and Rajesh Ramachandran. 2019. “The 10% Quota, Is Caste Still an Indicator of Backwardness?” Accessed on April 26, 2019. Link
Shaffer, P., R. Kanbur, and R. Sandbrook. 2018. “Immiserizing Growth: When Growth Fails the Poor.” Accessed on April 24, 2019.Link
Goswami, Arti Grover, Denis Medvedev, and Ellen Olafsen. 2019. “High-Growth Firms: Facts, Fiction, and Policy Options for Emerging Economies.” Accessed on April 24, 2019. Link
Coffey, D. and D. Spears. 2019. “Child height in India: New data, familiar challenges”, Accessed on February 11, 2019. Link
Miller-Tait, Evan J., Sandeep Mohapatra, M.K. (Marty) Luckert, and Brent M. Swallow. 2019. “Processing technologies for undervalued grains in rural India: on target to help the poor?”, Accessed on February 5, 2019. Link
Mukhopadhyay, Abhiroop and David Garcés Urzainqui. 2018. “The dynamics of spatial and local inequalities in India.” Accessed on April 26, 2019. Link
Luke, Nancy, Kaivan Munshi, Anu Mary Oommen, and Swapnil Singh. 2019. “Economic Development, the Nutrition Trap and Cardiometabolic Disease.” Accessed on January 14, 2019. Link
357. Yadav, J. (2017). Urban-Rural Disparities in Awareness of HIV/AIDS and Correct Knowledge of HIV/AIDS Prevention Methods among Reproductive Age Women (15-49 Years) in India. Demography India (2016), Special Issue (2017), 98-109. Accessed on January 6, 2018. Link.
356. Asher, S., P. Novosad, P., and C. Rafkin. (2018, January, 2018). Partial Identification of Expectations with Interval Data. Retrieved January 5, 2018 from link.
355. Haenssgen, M. J. (2018). The struggle for digital inclusion: Phones, healthcare, and marginalisation in rural India. World Development, 104, 358-374. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2017.12.023. Accessed on January 5, 2018
354. Mohanty, S., and A. Kastor. (2018). Occupational class and chronic diseases in India. In M. Hyde, H. S. Chungkham & L. Ladusingh (Eds.), Work and Health in India, (pp. 133-152). Great Britain: Policy Press, University of Bristol. Accessed on January 5, 2018. Link.
353. Haenssgen, M. J. (2018). The struggle for digital inclusion: Phones, healthcare, and marginalisation in rural India. World Development, 104, 358-374. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2017.12.023. Accessed on January 2, 2018.
352. Kaul, T. (2018). Intra-household allocation of educational expenses: Gender discrimination and investing in the future. World Development, 104, 336-343. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2017.12.017. Accessed on January 2, 2018.
351. Khera, R. (2017). Impact of Aadhaar on Welfare Programmes. ECONOMIC AND POLITICAL WEEKLY, 52(50), 61-70. Accessed on December 26, 2017. Link.
350. Mishra, S., and A. Rahman. (2017). Does non-farm income affect food security? Evidence from India. Working Paper. Working Paper. Retrieved on December 16, 2017 from link.
349. Ranganathan, T. (2017). Antibiotic Treatments for Short-term Morbidity in India. Economic & Political Weekly, 52(47), 77-80. Accessed on December 5, 2017. Link.
348. Lamichhane, P., A. Sharma, and A. Mahal. (2017). Impact of cleaner fuel use and improved stoves on acute respiratory infections: evidence from India. International Health, 1-18. doi: 10.1093/inthealth/ihx041. Accessed on December 5, 2017. Link.
347. Ranganathan, T., and G. Pandey. (2017). Tenancy and fallow land. World Development Perspectives, 7–8, 28-31. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wdp.2017.11.002. Accessed on December 5, 2017.
346. Agarwal, N. (2017). To Work or Not To Work? Male Earnings and Female Labor Force Participation in India. Job Market Paper. University of California, Riverside. Retrieved on November 25, 2017 from Link.
345. Jacob, J. F. (2017). Human Capital and Higher Education: Rate of Returns across Disciplines. Paper presented at the IARIW-ICIER Conference on "Experiences and Challenges in Measuring Income, Inequality, and Poverty in South Asia", New Delhi. Conference Paper retrieved on November 21, 2017 fromLink.
344. Gradín, C. (2017). Explaining cross-state earnings inequality differentials in India: A RIF decomposition approach, Paper presented at the IARIW-ICIER Conference on "Experiences and Challenges in Measuring Income, Inequality, and Poverty in South Asia", New Delhi. Conference Paper retrieved on November 21, 2017 from Link
343. Kjelsrud, A., and R. Somanathan. (2017). Food security and child malnutrition in India, ref. no. F-35125-INC-1. Final Report - International Growth Centre. Accessed on November 14, 2017. Link.
342. Dang, A., P. Maitra, and N. Menon. (2017). Labor Market Engagement and the Health of Working Adults: Evidence from India. IZA Discussion Paper Series. Discussion Paper Series. IZA – Institute of Labor Economics. Retrieved on November 14, 2017 from Link.
341. Reddy, U. S., and J. Yadav. (2016). Socioeconomic Disparities in Hospitalization Rate and Treatment Seeking Behavior of Major Morbidity in India (Evidence from a nationally representative panel survey). Demography India (2016), 45(1 & 2), 143-152. Accessed on November 14, 2017. Link.
340. Ladusingh, L., and M. Thangjam. (2017). Gender Differential in Occupation and Income among the Elderly in India. Ageing International. doi: 10.1007/s12126-017-9307-5. Accessed on November 11, 2017. Link.
339. Gupta, A., and D. Spears. (2017). Health externalities of India's expansion of coal plants: Evidence from a national panel of 40,000 households. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 86(Supplement C), 262-276. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeem.2017.04.007. Accessed on November 7, 2017. Link.
338. Kastor, A., and K.P. Shrestha, K. P. (2017). Reassessing the gender differences in type and place of health care utilisation in India: does the gender gap no longer exist? Journal of Public Health. doi: 10.1007/s10389-017-0862-8. Accessed on November 7, 2017. Link.
337. Thampi, A., and I. Anand. (2017). Income Inequality and Polarization in India: The Role of Caste Retrieved November 4, 2017, from Link.
336. Kumar, P., and U. Ram. (2017). Patterns, factors associated and morbidity burden of asthma in India. PLoS One, 12(10), e0185938. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0185938. Accessed on November 2, 2017. Link.
335. Dubey, A., and A. Verschoor. (2017). Income Mobility and Poverty Dynamics across Social Groups in Rural India, 1993–2005. In S. Bathla & A. Dubey (Eds.), Changing Contours of Indian Agriculture: Investment, Income and Non-farm Employment (pp. 149-161). Springer Singapore. Accessed on November 2, 2017. Link.
334. Biswas, A., S. Singh, and R. Singh. (2017). Linkages between hypertension and coronary heart disease in India: Evidence from India human development survey-2 (2011-2012). Indian Journal of Community Medicine, 42(4), 200-203. doi: 10.4103/ijcm.IJCM_168_16. Accessed on October 31, 2017. Link.
333. Sebastian, N. (2017). Changes in Work Patterns of Rural Women in the Context of Structural Transformation in India. In S. Bathla & A. Dubey (Eds.), Changing Contours of Indian Agriculture: Investment, Income and Non-farm Employment (pp. 223-242). Springer Singapore. Accessed on October 31, 2017. Link.
332. Pillarisetti, A., D.T. Jamison, and K.R. Smith. (2017). Household Energy Interventions and Health and Finances in Haryana, India: An Extended Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. In C. N. Mock, R. Nugent, O. Kobusingye & K. R. Smith (Eds.), Injury Prevention and Environmental Health (Disease Control Priorities: Third Edition, Vol. 7, Chap. 12, pp. 223-237). Washington, DC. Accessed on October 31, 2017. Link.
331. Ranganathan, T., A. Tripathi, and G. Pandey. (2017). Income Mobility among Social Groups. Economic & Political Weekly, 52(41), 73-76. Accessed on October 31, 2017. Link.
330. Agrawal, T., and S. Desai. (2017). The Impact of Women’s Earnings on Household Income Inequality in India. Paper presented at the ͚2017 Annual Meeting of PAA, Chicago. Preliminary Draft retrieved on October 31, 2017 from Link.
329. Rajeev, M., and Bhattacharjee, M. (2017). Augmenting Small Farmers’ Income Through Rural Non-farm Sector in India: Role of Information and Institutions. In V. Xaxa, D. Saha & R. Singha (Eds.), Work, Institutions and Sustainable Livelihood: Issues and Challenges of Transformation (pp. 73-99). Springer Singapore. Link.
328. Sarkar, S., A.K. Sahoo, and S. Klasen. (2017). Employment transitions of women in India: A panel analysis. Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers, No. 239. Retrieved on October 24, 2017 from Link.
327. Sohail, A., P. Shonali, and C. Felix. (2017). Synergies and trade-offs between energy-efficient urbanization and health. Environmental Research Letters, 12 (11). Accessed on October 17, 2017. Link.
326. Nidhi, G., and N. Jagdish. (2017). Impact of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) on Rural Female Workforce Participation. Asian Journal of Research in Social Sciences and Humanities, 7(10), 431-448. doi: 10.5958/2249-7315.2017.00516.0. Accessed on October 17, 20017. Link.
325. Deshpande, A. (2017). The Dividend of Diversity for India's Corporate Sector. In A. Mishra & T. Ray (Eds.), Markets, Governance, and Institutions in the Process of Economic Development (pp. 324-342): OXFORD University Press. Accessed on November 6, 2017. Link.
324. Gupta, A., and N. Sudharsanan. (2017). Social inequality and longevity in India. Paper presented at the PAA 2017 Annual Meeting, Chicago. Accessed online on October 14, 2017. Link.
323. Lucia, C., Nicole, H., and Alessandra, V. (2017). Child Marriage, Weather Shocks, and the Direction of Marriage Payments. Accessed on October 11, 2017. Link
274. Diwakar, D. G. (2017). Life on Streets: Health and Living Conditions of Children in Delhi. In S. S. Acharya, S. Sen, M. Punia & S. Reddy (Eds.), Marginalization in Globalizing Delhi: Issues of Land, Livelihoods and Health (pp. 349-368). New Delhi: Springer India.
249. Sinha, R. (2016). Intergenerational Occupational Mobility and Labor Productivity. Retrieved from SSRN: Link.
207. Patra, S., P. Arokiasamy, and S. Goli. (2016). Relevance of health knowledge in reporting maternal health complications and use of maternal health care in India. Health care for women international, 37(5), 531-549.
198. Childers, T. B., & K. Chiou. (2016). Socioeconomic Status, Religion and Health in India: an Examination of Chronic and Communicable Diseases. The Review of Black Political Economy, 43(2), 149-164
172. Gaiha, R., R. Jha, and V.S. Kulkarni. (2015). Child undernutrition in India in Diets, Malnutrition, and Disease: The Indian Experience. Australia, Australia/Oceania: Oxford University Press. Link.
168. Azam, M. (2015). Intergenerational Educational Persistence among Daughters: Evidence from India. The BE Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, 16(4).
142. Panda, S. (2015). Political connections and elite capture in a poverty alleviation programme in India. The Journal of Development Studies, 51(1), 50-65.
136. Dahiya, S., and B. Viswanathan. (2015). Women’s Malnutrition in India: The Role of Economic and Social Status. Margin: The Journal of Applied Economic Research, 9(3), 306-332.
127. Agrawal, T. (2014). Gender and caste-based wage discrimination in India: some recent evidence. Journal for Labour Market Research, 47(4), 329-340.
doi: 10.1016/j.jebo.2014.04.011. Link.
doi: 10.5547/01956522.214.171.124. Link.
114. Kumar, S., R. Molitor, and S. Vollmer. (2014). Children of drought: Rainfall shocks and early child health in rural India. Retrieved from SSRN Link
University of Pennsylvania.
. (2014). Politics off the grid: political competition, regulatory control, and allocation of natural resources. Unpublished Manuscript. Working Paper. Brown University, University of Virginia. Retrieved from Link.
111. Oldiges, C. (2014). Cereal Consumption Engel Curves and Income in India. In S. O. Wolf, P. Casaca, A. J. Flanagan & C. Rodrigues (Eds.), The Merits of Regional Cooperation: The Case of South Asia (pp. 95-116). Cham: Springer International Publishing.
110. Pandey, M. K. (2014). Demand and Targeting of Kisan Credit Card Scheme in India. MANTHAN: Journal of Commerce and Management, 1(1), 35-58. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.17492/manthan.v1i1.2432
Gouda, J., Chandra Das, K., Goli, S., and M. A. P.
Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University. Retrieved from Link.
57. Khamis, M., N. Prakash, and Z. Siddique. (2012). Consumption and social identity: Evidence from India. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 83(3), 353-371. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jebo.2012.07.002
Laxenburg, Austria: IR-09-046. Link